Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Reading Update 1/9/18

The first week of January is over and I have been reading like crazy! Well, I've been listening like crazy. Ever since I discovered Audiobooksync I have been listening to a lot of audio books. I talked about them in my 2017 Reading Post, but they are a website that gives out two audiobooks a week for 16 weeks in the summer, which is pretty freaking awesome if you ask me (#NotSpon).
Last year I started listening to a lot of audiobooks, because I could read while at work, and while travelling in the summer without bringing a load of books with me. Now it's become a bit of a habit.

On the fourth I finished Freakling by Lana Krumwiede, and I really liked it. It tells the story of Taemon, a teenage boy living in a future version of our world where people have developed Psi, the ability to manipulate objects with one's mind. After an accident Taemon's Psi goes away, forcing him to leave to a colony of non-Psi users, called The Dud Farm, where he learns about the dark side of this Utopian society. There are two more books in the series, and I'm thinking about getting them because of how weird and good the first book was, but it does work as a stand alone book. I rated it three stars because the world building was a little choppy but the overall story was really good.

Yesterday I finished In Our Backyard by Nita Bells. This book was really hard to listen to, but I feel like it's an important one to read.
In Our Backyard recounts the true stories of trafficking survivors who struggled for their lives during these traumatic experiences. Nita Bells works with trafficking survivors to work through the trauma, and rehabilitate them with jobs and a support system. The book goes into detail on the different types of trafficking and slavery that goes on here in America, how to spot it, get help for survivors, and prevent it from happening in the future. It is brutally honest in it's description of this secret world of traffickers, but for good cause. This is something that should be talked about more often. I personally didn't know how prevalent it is in the United States, and was shocked by finding out. This book also informs you about the various programs available for survivors, and how you can support them in their fight to end human trafficking. I highly recommend this book.

I am currently half way through 6th Grade Supernatural by J. B. Cantwell and I will post a review of that when I've finished. Let me know what your current reads are. It's starting to get rainy here, which always makes me want to hunker down with some books and coffee, and enjoy being cozy, so I might be readathoning this next weekend. Which just sounds wonderful!

~Delaney

No comments: