Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Reading Update 3/13/18

It's been a little while since I did one of these, so I thought I'd do a quick reading update for the past month. I've been getting back into a habit of reading more often and I've really enjoyed it. I'm trying to watch less TV, because I think it's affecting my sleep. I'm finding out that if I'm looking at a screen for too much time before I go to bed, I tend to not be as well rested the next morning. I know there have been studies done on the effect the blue light electronics have on our eyes and sleep patterns, and I've been experiencing some of the same effects like headaches, tired eyes, and back pain. So, I've been trying to give myself some buffer time before I go to bed where I don't use my phone, tablet, laptop, or TV. I've actually been feeling a bit better and sleeping a bit better as well. Though this habit has been a little side tracked with the release of Jessica Jones season 2 (It's so good you guys!!!). So I've been trying to devote some time before bed to reading physical books, and I think it's been working.
About a week ago I got another book to review from LibraryThing. I've been in this pattern with Early Reviewer where I mostly pick up children's books, more specifically picture books, partially because they seem to be more interesting the other books I see on there, and because they're short, and I know I can finish them in a day or two. This latest one was called Sakura's Cherry Blossoms, and it was very cute. The book tells the story of a young Japanese girl who is moving to America and shows her deal with struggle like learning a new language, making friends in a new place, and missing her home. The things that Sakura misses the most about Japan are he grandmother, and the cherry blossom tree the two of them would sit under. It's a very sweet book that helps little kids with the fear of moving and starting a new school and affirms that even if you're far away you will always be connected to your family. It was such a cute little book, and I can see it being a useful story. My youngest sister struggled with attachment each time my older three sisters moved out. This book illustrates how, no matter how far away you are, you will always have your family. It was an incredibly heartwarming story.

At the end of last month, I was reorganizing some books and I came across my old copies of The Chronicles of Narnia. My mom went through her books a while back and bought a new set of the series, and had given me her old paperbacks, and I had completely forgotten. I remember loving The Lion, The Which, and The Wardrobe when I was a kid, but for some reason I never read the other books in the series. I loved the movies growing up and was always frustrated that there had never been a full theatrical version of the entire series, though it did get close in the 1980's TV serial, and the latest film series is supposed to pick up again at the end of this year or beginning of the next. I read the first book so many times as a kid. In the christian home school world it was one of few books I started young readers on. Which isn't a bad thing, but a little funny and cliche now. But regardless I wanted to actually read all of them for the first time, so I picked up the first book, over our trip to Oregon, and finished it a couple days ago. I plan to pick up the second one as soon as I finish a couple of the review books I've got to get through, but this week I am going to be reading A Wrinkle in Time before I go and see the movie. This is one that my sister loved as a kid, and I had never read it. I'd seen a version of it from years ago, but it never stuck, and that new trailer looks so good!

I'm trying to get to a point where I'm only picking up one book at a time, but right now I have eight books I've picked up but haven't finished. Which, knowing me that's a pretty good number, because there was a time when this was my Currently reading pile:

A post shared by Delaney Linnea Barrett (@coffeecakebooks) on
But I'm getting better!
~Delaney

No comments: