Saturday, April 25, 2020

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon April 2020

12:48 AM - Good Evening! I am excited and rearing to go! I'm going to try to keep to a similar format as last year but we'll see how that goes. First up this evening was finishing off the last two chapters of The Fire By Night by Teresa Messineo, and Oh my gosh that is a fantastic book! It's one that took me so long to finish but honestly is one of my favorites now. I'll have a review up next week. for now onto the next one. It's a bit silly but I'm going to try and knock out the Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park next.

1:34 AM - I've Finished the eleventh in the series Junie B. Jones is a Beauty Shop Guy. Oh my gosh this might have been the reason I cut all my hair off in second grade. Like I'm pretty sure this book was exactly the reason I thought it was a great idea to go at my own head with craft scissors the day before school pictures. Mom I'm sorry!

4:47 AM - I've just finished an old mystery book I've found Dead Man's Cat by  about two kids and a missing stamp collection. It was super fun and quirky! It was very akin to the Audrey Hepburn movie Charade, but in a preteen mystery sort of way. I love finding old paperback mysteries in thrift stores and this one did not disappoint. Equal parts camp and suspense it was a fun little read! Now I think it's back to the Junie B. Jones series until I decide it's time to get stuck into a bigger book.

5:43 AM - I've just finished Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy. Guys I have to admit this is genuinely my guilty pleasure series. The amount of times I tried to keep a dead bug as a pet when I was a kid was numerous. And to read about a six year old who is trying to convince their parents that a dead fish is an excellent pet is honestly the weirdest type of validation I will ever have. Don't judge me.

10:51 AM - I fell asleep somewhere around 6:30 this morning, and just woke up. Before I fell asleep I started Holes by Louis Sachar and got 9 chapters in. It's weird comparing the book to the movie, especially since I haven't seen the movie in 3 or 4 years. There are so many things I remember from that movie and I don't know why. It wasn't a particular favorite, and I was pretty young when it came out, yet seeing that movie was a big memory of my childhood. Funny how that happens isn't it?

3:38 PM - I Read Holes until about 12:30 then got distracted with things around the house. I'm going to make myself a late lunch and then jump back into it.

7:55 PM - Whew! Time flies! Just finished Holes and let me tell you it makes me want to watch that movie so much! It's both so frustrating and so mun at the same time. Like I said I like books with a little mystery, and since it had been years since I'd seen the movie I forgot how the story ends. And it is so good! The frustrating thing about this book is looking at it from a legal point of view, which is hard not to do when your dad is a lawyer. The absolutely awful situations these kids were put in were honestly baffling to me at times. OH MY GOSH! I need to keep reminding myself it's a kids book! Next up I'm going to head back to the Junie B. Jones series and see if I  can make my way through that.

9:04 PM - Only three hours to go! I just finished Junie B. Jones is (Almost) a Flower Girl. It's #13 in the series. Gosh these books are just absurd! Do you remember being a precocious little kid who said anything that popped into their head? I certainly do! Also it was around the time I read this the first time that I was a flower girl in my mom's friend's wedding and let me tell you I am more and more coming to the realization that I was Junie B. Jones as a kid.

10:32 PM - I got a little bored of the Junie B. series so I decided to shift to another book. A Book of Scottish Nursery Rhymes by Norah Montgomerie an old thrift store find, and man am I not well versed in old Glasgowian. The rhymes have a lot of words like "tae (to/two)", "wi (with)", "hame (home)", "papingoe (parrot)" and various other little phrases. Thankfully there's a cheat sheet in the beginning of the book to turn back to when I get a bit lost in the brogue. And for the moment I am going to take a stretch break. while I finish off the half jar of peanut butter I've been snacking on all day.

12:17 AM - My computer decided to update at exactly midnight! But I made it! Almost 7 Books, 694 Pages in total and I am actually totally down to finish this last book I've been reading before I turn in (should I? Maybe not). I hope you've had as lovely a readathon as I have. I might do another one soon, because I still have a huge backlog of books I started and never finished sitting on my bedside table. But we'll see.

Have a good evening, and I'll talk to you all soon!

~Delaney

No comments: